Friday, February 5, 2016

Don't fear the Curve!

A couple weeks ago, I attended a KCMQG retreat in Brunswick Missouri.  This was such a nice facility!  The main sewing area was generously spacious.  The kitchen was completely modern with ample appliances, dishes and cutlery.  We even had a separate dining area so we could step away from our sewing machines and eat as a group.  The sleeping arrangements were very nice with a private full bathroom for each 2 bedroom unit!  The Brunswick Lodging and Event Center is attached to the Sew Sweet Quilt Store.  I believe there were a total of 37 members that weekend.  Needless to say, it was a fantastic weekend - full of sewing and inspiration!
 

Personally, one of the best take-away was the quick lesson we had for the Quick Curve Ruler Mini.  Throughout the weekend, I mentioned that I had a fear of sewing curves.  I thought they looked difficult and was frankly intimidated by sewing curves.  Kelly Lautenbach was generous to give us a very nice impromptu tutorial.  She provided a small sampling of fabric and the QCR-mini for us to practice the technique.  I was so surprised that the technique was as simple (check out this demo on the full size template)!  I forgot all about my math lessons from school (concave and convex).  Why hadn't I tried this template earlier?  Kelly was so generous and offered the remaining fabric squares to keep.  I took these home and practiced.  I ended up making a table topper!  What do you think?

I do believe the creator of the Quick Curve Ruler was a genius!  I have not tried the full size template yet, but my friend purchased one.  There are so many wonderful things being made by using these templates.  There is even a book with patterns!  I can see this making an appearance on my Amazon wish list very soon.

After that weekend, I can honestly say I am not afraid of sewing curves!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm very impressed, Nicole. I've always thought they'd be really hard to do, too. Maybe sometime you can give a demo to the guild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun idea! Let's do something this summer!

      Delete